These two are among the oldest photographs of the Monastery, taken by the Palestine Exploration Fund expedition in 1868-69 under C.W. Wilson and H.S. Palmer, and printed in Southampton in 1869 in the “Ordnance Survey of the Peninsula of Sinai” publication. They recorded the form of the Monastery’s courtyard and the exterior of its entrance on the west wall. They also recorded the medieval additions to the narthex of the Katholikon and the form of the south wing before the extensive demolitions and restorations carried out during the end of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century.